Sunday, April 18

Final fitment

Today went a lot slower than expected. After yesterday's quick
cutting and mock-ups, I expected to get to the shop today and tack
everthing in place... I was wrong. The first 2 pics are yesterday's
final fitment. What I realized today, is that with the suspension
fully compressed the tires would rub on the fenders. I pulled
everything apart, and removed the rubber undercoating, and rolled the
insides with a hammer. After a lot of trys, using rivets and tack
welds, I was able to get a fitment that followed the body lines, and
doesn't rub at full compression. The next time we work on the car,
I'll weld everything in permanently.

Friday I was at the junkyard, and was able to score this nice BMW e36
rear bumper. With the flares, it fits perfect, as if it was meant for
the car. We've been wanting to add this bumper for a while now, but
because of the style of our old box flares it wasn't possible... Until
now.
Oh by the way, I've been looking at another grm team getting ready to
compete in the challenge for the first time. They are also building a
bmw e30, and it's slowly becoming surprisingly similar to ours... I
don't know if I should be flattered or be angry that they are taking
many of our ideas... Whatever, Bring it on Vorschlag! We are looking
forward to meeting and beating you guys at the challenge!

No comments: