Sunday, October 5

Time to paint!

So with less than a week before the Grassroots challenge, Jimmy and I began to prep the car for paint. I had an Idea for the look we wanted to achieve. I did a quick photo-chop of our idea about 5 months ago. You can see it below.

So we began the bodywork, sanding, and paint prep. It took us about 2 days. The body was relatively straight, there were a few door dings, and we had some damage on the roof from removing the sunroof panel. I repaired those areas with bondo, while Jimmy, Mariana, Christy and Sue helped sand and scruff the areas that needed to be painted.




We painted the car in my small 1 car garage. You can see the covered tool benches and washer and dryer in the background. THere was not much room, but we did the best we could with what we had.
The first coat was the semigloss olive green color. Jimmy got it from Sherwin Williams. It's an oil based exterior paint. I shot the entire lower half of the car with 2 coats. We used less than 1 pt. We didn't take any pics of it, but you can see the next step where i have covered the green with tape and paper, and already sprayed with the semi-gloss black. It sprayed on surprisingly smoothly with the $14.99 spray gun from Harbor Freight!




I hung the hood and trunk from the garage door in order to paint both sides at one time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What (if any) did you guys thin the Sherman Williams paint down with?

I just remember the car look so darn nice at the event. Motivated me to de-fake rivet my sportmaxes also...